Apart from its luxurious hotels, scrumptious restaurants, and beautiful beaches, La Jolla’s resident sea lions and seals are one of the top reasons travelers visit. Here’s where you can see them for FREE on your next California vacation.
When is the best time to see them?
ANYTIME. What?! Wild but true! The sea lions and seals are there literally all the time, regardless of the time of year or weather conditions. They may go out in the water around noon to fish for lunch, but it never takes them long. If you happen upon barren rocks, just go to the park or restaurant nearby for an hour or so. You’ll be shocked just how many sea lions and seals are there waiting for you when you return.
Where is the best place to see sea them?
Walk along the shore on Coast Boulevard from the Children’s Pool all the way to La Jolla Cove. You will see tons of them along the shore on the rocks. Just be mindful that the rocks are THEIR home, not yours. Do not touch, feed, or get too close to them. They love their space.
Where to park in La Jolla?
Yes, it will be crowded and street parking can be a challenge. Be prepared to park a few blocks down and walk to the shore. I recommend arriving early to get the best 2-3 hour street parking along Coast Boulevard. If you have no luck there, try to park on Prospect Street.
What else can you do in La Jolla?
- Kayak at the Underwater Park to see these seals and sea lions in the water. Make sure you have your GoPro with you!
- Book a La Jolla and Mission Beach tour. You can see La Jolla, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and Old Town all in one day for just $29.13 per person. That’s a really great deal, guys.
- Eat at The Cottage for yummy stuffed French toast and eggs Benedict. You won’t regret it.
- If you happen to be here on a Sunday, check out the Open Aire Farmer’s Market. You can find the best deals and food there. I always find the tastiest organic fruit, authentic French pastries, and guacamole.
- Just sit down on the lawn at Scripps Park and enjoy the magnificent ocean scenery and breeze.
What’s your favorite things to do in San Diego? Let us know in the comments. 🙂